The German education system functions upon the rules and regulations of the Basic Law “Grundgesetz”. The Federal Ministries of Education, Cultural Affair and Science is the main authority for making education, science and arts policy guidelines, and for adopting related laws and administrative regulations.
The ministry closely collaborates with the Federation and Länders (German states) authorities, in supervising the entire activity of the educational institutions, organizations and foundations.
Which Are the Institutions of German Tertiary Education?
Higher education studies (tertiary education providers) in Germany are named the recognized institutions providing higher education study courses leading to a profession that addresses needs of the local and international labour market.
Germany’s education providers, recognized as Higher Education Institutions are:
- Universities “Universitäten” and Equal Institutions.
- “Technische Hochschulen”/”Technische Universitäten”.
- “Pädagogische Hochschulen”.
- Theological colleges.
- Universities of Applied Sciences “Fachhochschulen”.
- Art and Music Colleges.
- Higher Education Institutions for Federal Armed Forces.
- Higher Education Institutions Offering Dual Studies “Berufsakademie” (BA).
- Institutions of Continuing Vocational Education “Fachschulen” And “Fachakademien” In Berlin. According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED), the education received from these institutions is equal to the first level of higher education.